Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Black girl pity party, debt ceiling, and 53rd rejection letter.

Short posting tonight.  I'm really frustrated.  I received two rejection notices, one for a teaching position and another for an administrative position, today.  Maybe Southern California isn't the place for my family.  Its so expensive here and for as much diversity as Southern California has, its a very racist place.  Not racist in the same way as the Southern states of America, but in a very social/political cloaked kind of way.  I can't help but to wonder, is it because I'm black?

Yes I have natural hair.  Natural meaning I don't use harsh chemicals to straighten my hair.  I'm sure that is some sort of hinderance too. Black girl, nappy hair wants to be a role model in the school system in San Diego... really?

I don't fit the standard of beauty here either, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I spent two hours today speaking with another black woman who is employed but is struggling too.

I read an article today on NPR saying the wealth/ethnic gap in America grows wider and wider.  A person need look no further than my home city of Detroit to see how black people in America are slipping, quite quickly, out of the middle class.

Black folks want the same thing as other people: a home, good school for their children, and equity in opportunity.

I'll get over this, but getting two no's in one day is very disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment