Monday, August 15, 2011

Teachers: dress for the job you want AND HAVE.


Teachers, can we talk for a bit?  Its just you and I here. What does your wardrobe look like these days?  I know, I know, another blog post about being dressed professionally in the workplace. I know all the teacher gripes concerning work clothing.  I know you're on your feet all day (hopefully), I know you run around with kids all day (elementary), I know your students are active and are engaged in a lot of project based learning that involves glue, markers, paint, etc...

All of that is great, but how are you presenting yourself while on campus?

Okay, lets get to the nitty gritty.  I know we don't make a lot of money.  But you need to take a hard and honest look at how you spend money and ask if there are any corners that you can cut.  To do this, track your spending for one month. Get some folders and mark one living needs (gas, clothing, food from a grocery store, and health and grooming products).  Mark another folder "wants."  Keep your receipts so you can track trends with your spending. I've done this before and realized I was spending nearly $30+ per week on iced lattes.  $30 bucks per week is $120 per month. That's nearly $1,500 per year. I kicked my habit, lost weight and gained extra dough. If your budget is super tight, try thrift stores.  I know it may not be your FIRST choice, but, believe it or not, some people actually have thrift store find clubs.  Here's another tip, if you go thrift shopping in trendier neighborhoods, you can find some great pieces.

I encourage you to go to google, enter "thrift store clubs in (input city").  If you don't find an actual club, then it will at least provide you with some locations where you can find cheap and easy separates to enhance your wardrobe.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let me ask you something else.  What do you consider "professional" clothing?

You'd be surprised at what I've seen teachers, shapers of our nation's future, wear to work.

I've seen everything from Birkenstocks with socks, sweatpants and sweatshirt (everyday) to mini-skirts with ultra high heels.  Wow, I know right... what's worse is no one ever told these teachers how unprofessional they looked.

Shame on the principal that allows his or her teachers to walk around school looking like they work at a telemarketing firm (those people wear anything). Look at  your wardrobe and ask yourself if you have a distinct set of professional clothing.  Do you have clothing that you can wear to an interview? If not, go out and get these items as soon as possible.  Why you ask? Well one word: perception.

Have you ever worn a really great outfit and walked a little taller, smiled a little wider, and received compliments multiple times while wearing that outfit?  If so, why not command that attention daily?  Remember you are a role model to  your students. Do you think so little of your school and  your students that you will just roll out of bed and wear anything?  I know that's the easy thing to do, but ask yourself, is it the right thing to do?  You are a professional, the first key to being a professional is for people to perceive you as one.  I can assure you that if people see you in khakis and a  polo style shirt they will either ask you where the appliances are located or ask you to point them in the direction of the the sale rack.  You don't want this. You want to command attention.

I'll give you an example, ever heard of the term "little black dress?"

 I have my own version called the "little interview dress."(LID)  It is a dress I can dress up for a professional dinner, or dress professionally for an interview.  Once while wearing my LID because I had just concluded an interview, I decided to stop by another school district to say hello to the district's superintendent (yeah, that's how I roll... did you read my post about NETWORKING (click here to read)?  :-)  Anywho, I felt confident.  I looked good and knew I looked good. Because I looked good, I felt good... and confident.  Typically you need an appointment to see the superintendent.  I walked right up to the receptionist looked her right in the eye and said "I'm here to see Dr. X"(not including the real name)."  See said "right this way."  While this story may be a little frightening to some, it was in that moment I realized something: PERCEPTION.  I'm sure the receptionist, who I just saw ask a parent to sign in, thought this lady is wearing professional clothing, she is carrying a portfolio, she obviously is here for the right reasons. She walked me right in and I met with the superintendent (not sure how good that meeting went since I still am not employed as an administrator with that district.)  But the point is... I got in.

Why not make your students that receptionist?  Have your students look up to you not ask you wear you shop.

Another reason why you should want to look your best:
Your principal is watching.  See, people in the front office observe, they observe carefully. You can't just walk into your place of work and look unprofessional and expect to get promoted.  If you plan on becoming an administrator, lead teacher, department head, district office personnel, you have to look the part.  If you apply for the position and then start dressing more professionally, well, it comes off as... insincere. You don't want that.
I'm not asking you to erase your unique personality from your wardrobe in hopes of one day becoming a district pundit, I'm asking you to refine it.  You can still keep your sense of style and dress professionally.  Look through magazines, look at Michelle Obama (I love her style), ask another teacher whose style you admire where they shop or what pieces are essential. Heck, you can google "essential wardrobe pieces" and you will find a variety of websites that can offer you suggestions.

Go out and shop... the school year has almost started.  I'm sure stores will have some swinging Labor Day sales.  Take advantage and amp up how you're perceived, remember, your principal and your students are watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment